Monday, March 18, 2024

A Formal Bonnet for LHOP festival...


Creating a "formal Bonnet" for Church... 

(Just in case)

Well, that is the excuse this determined

 to give haberdashery a go told herself.
I started with an old "sunhat".
I cut out a large piece 
from the back and checked fit...
Then I created linings 
and covers by placing hat pieces
 atop and adding outer additions...
I hemmed outer edges to reduce
 chance of fraying by machine.
I created a sleeve for front of hat 
and then machine stitched rows 
round and round to 
keep in place for outer brim.
Next, I snap pinned fabric 
edge snuggly in place and 
hand stitched outer hat cover in place.

Next I hand stitched brim in place.

Back to those clips. 

I carefully tried to gather inner lining evenly and stitched snuggly.

Eventually, It looked like this, 
and I gave it a chance to settle overnight.
Next day would be the fun stuff.
I chose this thick braid trim for outside edge.
I spent some time playing around
 with different ideas, and elements
 from supplies in my collection.
 I eventually recycled these...

Final thing I added,
 was an inner trim
 so I could do one final close
 to very front opening
 between the ruffles with 
my trusty glue gun.
And here she is:
 Prairie dress a ready!

The Little House on the Prairie 50th Anniversary Cast Reunion and Festival is this weekend! I decided to add in a “formal” hat to my weekends costume options, since I will be rewearing same dress and changing out the “extras” to create outfit differences. This was my first haberdashery attempt. Mostly hand stitches, I stitched on my Bernina when I could and used my glue gun for all the finishing touches! #tulapinkfabrics#tulapinkdejavunightshade #victorianbonnet#handmadebonnet


Saturday at the festival was a dismal, cold, stormy, frenzy. So I decided to put on my church bonnet when the sun finally peeked through the clouds and brighten the day!



No comments: