Wednesday, May 20, 2020

THE HAPPY STACKER


Have you ever loved a cute little kids toy pictured on Pinterest so much 
you were inspired to buy the pattern without thinking about your skills to complete such a pattern???

...and then immediately known you were in trouble???
Now magnify that many times over!!!

I sewed a Happy Stacker for my future grandson. It is my hope it will be a family heirloom 
played with by all future siblings and 
protected  forever by his Momma.

What I do know for sure- 
it will be my last pattern purchased & attempted...
I just don't have the patience for following complicated details in me anymore.

But- I DID IT (eventually)

And I've decided some things:

Every seam out of place shows my originality.

Every blood speck says... 
yes, indeed another pin prick- 
"Grandma was here"...

and for every thread still frayed sewed in a seam... 
The seam police better leave off their glasses!!!


First things first...
I purchased Heather Bailey's pattern on line 
copied all pattern pieces
(thinking I'd make this as my new baby gift for all...
 there will be no other recipients!)


Chose my fabrics and prepared 
my first ring with "ease"


Everything was going very well- 
until it was time for "the flip" 



See this Pic above???
DO NOT DO THIS!!!

I would spend days recreating this puzzle.
I am now an absolute pro at what 
NOT TO DO!
BUT-
I still do not know how 
to correctly complete the pattern.

Others have shared their pics and experiences on line & eventually done a great job.

But, I had to go another way.

So I started over. 

And from this point on... 
I would do all centers by hand 
without attempting to 
reverse my rings as directed
OR 
to hide stitch work. 

I prepared all my layers...
especially the center bands, 
because I knew they were my chance
 to make it mine.

Assembly of each ring is: 
bottom layer+
outer edge+
center

Once you get past center... 
(& however you got past it- I applaud you!)
Then you attach top- 
and for me- it's back to hand stitching the center.


I followed all pattern cutting instructions as written... but quickly decided to 
add stitching on outer edges of center flaps
 as reinforcement for my hand stitch work.



After stuffing- I had to apply a lot of pressure to whip stitch ring closed.
Then I went back and did a more secure stitch for (hopefully) permanent hold.

And then I just took my time...
and stitch by stitch... 
pin prick by pin prick I went on....




Once I was done with rings... 
The pole still remained.
Thankfully, compared to the rings- it was a breeze.




And HERE IT IS:





The pattern was created by Heather Bailey. I purchased it on line:
https://www.heatherbaileystore.com/product-p/sp003-hs.htm

No comments: