Saturday, September 3, 2016

A mug rug of teal... a star... and Tula!

It's been a very productive week... and I can't recall the last time I was able to actually be able to feel quiltably accountable!

September is Ovarian Cancer awareness month & I am involved in a teal mug rug swap to help support the fight!



After making my donation & signing up... I received the fabric we all must use and awaited to hear from my partner.

After thinking ideas through I was ready to get things going!


I pieced a selvage block to be used as my focal point

The lower piece of fabric is the "swap fabric" 
that must be used
The upper is the block I pieced to look like a mug

Needing more color, I added an outline

It wasn't until after my mug rug was fully bound,
(and quite crooked to say the least)- that I concluded----
TOO MUCH PINK!!!

I decided to use the teal I had already piece with on top

completed mug rug back
(hmmmm, must remember to make up a label...)

My 2016 Teal Mug Rug Swap for my partner,
Hope she likes it!


Next day, I started in on the Michael Miller Challenge. They sent challenge participants 2 fat quarters... mine were solid silver & a silver patterned.

I had already decided a few weeks back to order extra yardage so I could shake things up with a special selvage quilt using just that collection of fabrics...
but to my utter disappointment, they arrived Thursday without a single visible selvage anywheres :(
How could Michael Miller do such a thing to a quilter??????
Thus, I had to rethink the whole thing...

I decided on a giant star, with a modern twist and jumped right in. After sketching out some variations... I got started.


split 12" squares

Row one... 

I had to take a break after block nine when my niece showed up 
and desperately wanted access to my rulers and rotary cutter...


This morning I finished the last of the 10 1/2" blocks... and hope to begin piecing the rows together soon.
Just wishing the cut angles did not vary the shading so much in the fabric weave on the piecings....




And as a special surprise... shhhhh....
Today.... (Don't tell my DH)...

The Tula Pink fabric I preordered months ago arrived in a plain brown box. I gleefully snuck it in...
ok... so I am still hoarding Tula. She & I have a very special relationship... don't judge me.


Slow & Steady by Tula Pink!



No comments: