Friday, September 11, 2020

Seaside on a Journey2Nebula


I signed up for the Journey2Nebula in preparation for the Tula Pink Nebula Quilt BOM 
(starting in 2021). 
I have so very much to learn and other things to refresh... I am so grateful to Jaybird Quilts for the time and energy she gives to all of us to share her knowledge and love of quilting.

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2020/09/journey-to-nebula-is-under-way.html

Her rulers and patterns are fantastic and were purchased to participate. 
I joined her FB group... and I was in!
Everything is broken up by weeks...
Week 1 was pattern prep 
& week 2 assembly.

Week one I focused on using my super sidekick 
(& eventually the regular sidekick
to cut out all my fabric pieces. 
(I chose fabrics from Tula's Slow & Steady collection.)

Week 1: I am ready to float SEASIDE! Diamonds all cut! #journey2nebula, #jaybirdquilts, #seasidequilt,  #tulapinkslowandsteady


On Tuesdays she posts a new video with the weeks instructions and advice. For this week, it meant instruction for Seaside assembly. 
So, I took her tips and got going as soon as I could.



I was so excited to finally see it fully pieced!

I used a fusible batting and prepared for machine quilting on my Babylock with my walking foot..

I put my walking foot in place and quilted away... keeping it simple, following the piecing and creating an outline to further enhance.



I decided to try something new and create a jazzy border with instructions from a 
Susie's Magic Binding video placed on line by "Aunt Marti" from 52 quilts
It involved cutting 2 different color binding strips and piecing them creating the binding. 
I think it added an extra special tweak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N6nv90H2c

I did all the binding by machine on this one! Starting on the back... and then flipping to bring binding to the front. I did my best to stitch in the ditch between the 2 fabrics. in the seam of the 2 fabrics.





 

No comments: