Thursday, February 3, 2022

Creating Christening Dresses for Two

After weeks searching 
through Pinterest for ideas 
and over purchasing extravagance 
courtesy of lockdown shopping... 
I finally started creating 
Baptismal Gowns for the twins!
My goal is to create 2 gowns 
made especially for their 
baptism that screams out: 
Grandma Loves You 
from every stitch!!! 
I spent so much time gazing 
through Pinterest for ideas, 
linking to blogs for explanation, 
and I even dug deep in to my sewing library.
To my shock- I rediscovered 
a full collection of 
autographed 
Martha Pullen Heirloom Sewing books!!! 
Sew, 
White fabrics, lace ribbons, threads, & 
stabilizer replenished- 
it was time to jump in.
Martha's books share the most 
beautiful Christening gowns and 
I'd be thrilled to create any of them.
Alas, I am not a seamstress 
and all look far too complicated.
So, eventually I settled on a simple
 internet freebie pattern and decided
 to embellish the hell out of it!
My Babylock Elisimo 
was about to get quite the workout. 
For days, while I waiting for lace
 to arrive I embroidered panel after panel.
Finally, all my lace arrived
 over a few days of joyful deliveries
 and I got started piecing.
After 2 days- my bodice fronts were finished!
They will look like this when I cut them out
Next day, I started the puff sleeves.
(The part of the gown I worry most 
about messing up when 
I try to put it all together...)
I am real happy with how they look. 
I will hand sew them in 
when it is time and hope for the best.
Today I started on the front bottom.
I pieced the first 12 inches or sew today!
Homemade lace on my sewing machine, 
purchased laces, & mixed fabrics.

Meanwhile,
SNOW DAY!!!!

No comments: